The 2009 Medical Weblog Awards are here again!
MedGadget is asking for nominations for the best of medical blogs. This is the sixth year of the competition and these awards are designed to showcase the best medblogs, and to highlight the exciting and useful role that the medical blogosphere plays in medicine and society.
You can make your nominations here by leaving a comment with your choice. Nominations will be accepted until Sunday, January 24, 2010. The finalists will be announced the next day.
The categories for this year’s awards are:
– Best Medical Weblog
– Best New Medical Weblog (established in 2009)
– Best Literary Medical Weblog
– Best Clinical Sciences Weblog
– Best Health Policies/Ethics Weblog
– Best Medical Technologies/Informatics Weblog
– Best Patient’s Blog
Perhaps you remember that this blog made it to the finals last year in the category “Best New Medical Weblog“, but was -of course- beaten by Life In The Fast Lane, the blog that is nominated at least 20 times in the current contest.
Since you obviously can’t be nominated for Best New Medical Weblog (2008) twice, I didn’t expected this blog to be nominated again. Considering the competition, I was very surprised (and certainly honored) that Laika’s MedLibLog was nominated in the section Medical Technologies/Informatics Weblog, i.e. by Chris Nickson (precordialthump on Twitter), saying:
# Best Medical Technologies/Informatics Weblog: Laika’s MedLibLog – http://laikaspoetnik.wordpress.com/ A brilliant guide to the art and science of discovering the medical information you need.
By the way, I was alerted to the nomination by Novoseek on Twitter.
Many of my favorite blogs have already been nominated, like Life In The Fast Lane, ScienceRoll, Bitingthedust , other things amanzi, Clinical Cases and Images, Respectful Insolence and Found In Cache. Below are my nominations. I gave preference to those blogs that have not yet been nominated, but certainly deserve a place among the other nominees.
- Best Medical Weblog : Dr Shock MD PhD, a beautiful lay-out, frequently updated, a mix of web 2.0 & medical subjects brought in an easy-to-digest way.
- Best New Medical Weblog (established in 2009) Body in Mind, excellent new blog that fulfills its promise: “both interesting and accurate.”
- Best Literary Medical Weblog: Other things amanzi – Love to read the stories. Real, rough (surgeon & South Africa) and beautifully written. (of equal quality is Bitingthedust -both already nominated)
- Best Clinical Sciences Weblog: Sutures for a living Blog of a plastic surgeon with a lot of noteworthy information on many different subjects including surgery and quilting.
- Best Health Policies/Ethics Weblog: The Skeptical OB writes skeptic research posts as well as interesting stories about patients.
- Best Medical Technologies/Informatics Weblog: The Palmdoc Chronicles. The source to consult to keep updated with the latest Medical PDA News and Updates.
- Best Patient’s Blog : Survive the Journey. I ‘m a real fan of this blog, written by a patient with Cushing’s Disease. It contains real life stories and researchblogging. Robin has recently started another blog “365 days with Cushing“. I almost nominated this blog, but realized in time it just started this year.
By the way it is very difficult to fit some blogs in. It would be nice to include other categories, like “Medical Education”, Evidenced Based Medicine (Science Based Medicine/Theoretical Medicine) and “Medical Student, Nurses & other health care workers”. And what about microblogs?
Related articles by Zemanta
- The 2009 Medblog Awards – Please Nominate and Vote!! (brassandivory.blogspot.com)