At this blog I have mentioned Bertalan (Berci) Mesko a couple of times. Berci, a MD who does a PhD in personalized genetics, is most famous for his award-winning blog Scienceroll, his health 2.0 presentations and his creation of Webicina, a free service that curates medical social media resources for medical professionals and e-patients.
Webicina has greatly evolved, since I’ve reviewed it 2 years ago in “PeRSSonalized Medicine – and its alternatives“: it covers 80 topics, 3000 resources and 17 languages. Most importantly patients and doctors find it extremely useful to keep up-to-date via this customizable aggregator of quality medical resources in social media (Medical Journals, Blogs, News and Web 2.0 tools). I often see it mentioned on Twitter.
I’m glad to announce that Webicina is now available as a free mobile app. This application makes it easier to access the information on Webicina. It also includes a Health 2.0 Quiz which was designed to help empowered patients and medical professionals know more about the world of medicine and social media. You can download the Webicina app for free in the iTunes store. It is also compatible with iPod touch, and the iPad.
Unfortunately I couldn’t test the app for you, because I have no I-phone. But I understood I don’t have to wait for long before the Android version comes out.
Meanwhile Ivor Kovic did test the Webicina app. This is his opinion:
The app is very nicely designed, and the cool thing is that you can browse through all the listed resources inside the app, without the need to go back and forward between your web browser. In just a few minutes of playing around with it, I found some great new resources and reminded myself of all the great content inside the Emergency Medicine category in which this blog is also featured. I can already see that I will be spending many hours exploring valuable new content on my phone using Webicina app, and if you want to stay on top of your game in your field, I strongly suggest you do the same.
- Webicina smartphone app (ivor-kovic.com)
- Webicina iPhone application is available in iTunes! (scienceroll.com)
- Webicina Featured by the Kairos Society (scienceroll.com)
- Why Denise Silber likes Webicina (scienceroll.com)
- 2010 Medgadget Weblog Awards: Thank you! (scienceroll.com)
- Webicina Toolbar is Available! (scienceroll.com)
- Multi-Author Medical Blogs – At the End it is all about Credibility (laikaspoetnik.wordpress.com)
- The University Library (UBA) goes Mobile ((laikaspoetnik.wordpress.com)