Some time ago I saw the above Real Time Social Media Stats Counter at Heidi Allen Online (see here), the blog of Heidi Allen. The live stats meter is actually from Gary Hayes at Personalize Media (see post: Garys Social Media Count).
Yesterday, I saw a similar stats counter (in Dutch) at the excellent Dutch Education Blog Trendmatcher tussen ICT en Onderwijs (see here) of @trendmatcher (Willem Karrsenberg). Willem saw these real time stats presented in a powerpoint presentation by Toine Maes, director of “Kennisnet” (~”Knowledge network”). Later he asked Toine how he managed to get these dynamic stats in his slide. Of course it is great to show such a slide in a class room, or at other occasions.
At his blog Willem explains what it takes to make a slide with real life counters yourself. You need the Cortona 3D viewer (download here), that can be embedded in a browser or in Powerpoint. And you need the definition file with the actual formulas. He made an example of a presentation and has made all files public (download here).
For people (like me) who find this all too complicated he made a simple one minute Flickr-video (FF) you can use instead. I converted this again to a Vodpod video, which easily picks up the embed code (Add-on in FireFox) and can be directly imported into WordPress.
Willem notes that he doesn’t know if the actual figures are correct. Bas Jonkers of Kennislink commented that the numbers are based on recent data, mostly from indirect sources. With the Cortona 3D viewer you can see the updated data here
Gary Hayes at Personalize Media shares his sources at his blog. The dates are less recent because his post dates from September 2009, but he will update the data from time to time.
- 20 hours of video uploaded every minute onto YouTube (source YouTube blog Aug 09)
- Facebook 600k new members per day, and photos, videos per month, 700mill & 4 mill respectively (source Inside Facebook Feb 09)
- Twitter 18 million new users per year & 4 million tweets sent daily (source TechCrunch Apr 09)
- 900 000 blogs posts put up every day (source Technorati State of the Blogosphere 2008)
- UPDATE: YouTube 1Billion watched per day SMH (2009)- counter updated!
- Flickr has 73 million visitors a month who upload 700 million photos (source Yahoo Mar 09)
Related articles by Zemanta
- Friday Foolery #13: A Virus Walks into a Bar (laikaspoetnik.wordpress.com)
- Friday Foolery #8: Dynamic LAIKA Sputnik and Pandora’s box (laikaspoetnik.wordpress.com)
- Four important facts about presenting in class! (annmic.wordpress.com)
- Gary’s Social Media Count | PERSONALIZE MEDIA (personalizemedia.com)
- The Real-time Web’s Utility Meter Spins Rapidly (scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org)