If you’re on Twitter you probably seen the #FF or #FollowFriday phenomenon. FollowFriday is a way to recommend people on Twitter to others. For at least 2 reasons: to acknowledge your favorite tweople and to make it easier for your followers to find new interesting people.
However, some #FollowFriday tweet-series are more like a weekly spam. Almost 2 years ago I blogged about the misuse of FF-recommendations and I gave some suggestions to do #FollowFriday the right way: not by sheer mentioning many people in numerous tweets, but by recommending one or a few people a time, and explaining why this person is so awesome to follow.
Twitter Lists are also useful tools for recommending people (see post). You could construct lists of your favorite Twitter people for others to follow. I have created a general FollowFridays list, where I list all the people I have recommended in a #FF-tweet and/or post.
In this post I would like to take up the tradition of highlighting the #FF favs at my blog. .
Jennifer Gunter (@DrJenGunter at Twitter), is a beautiful lady, but she shouldn’t be tackled without gloves, for she is a true defender of evidence-based medicine and wields the lasso of truth.
Her specialty is OB/GYN. She is a sex health expert. No surprise, many tweets are related to this topic, some very serious, some with a humorous undertone. And there can be just fun (re)tweets, like:
LOL -> “@BackpackingDad: New Word: Fungry. Full-hungry. “I just ate a ton of nachos, but hot damn am I fungry for those Buffalo wings!””
Dr Jen Gunter has a blog Dr. Jen Gunther (wielding the lasso of truth).
Again we find the same spectrum of posts, mostly in the field of ob/gyn. You need not be an ob/gyn nor an EBM expert to enjoy them. Jen’s posts are written in plain language, suitable for anyone to understand (including patients).
- How safe is the HPV vaccine? New data available.
- Some birth control pills have a higher risk of blood clots. Is yours one of them?
In addition, There are also hilarious posts like “Cosmo’s sex position of the day proves they know nothing about good sex or women“,where she criticizes Cosmo for tweeting impossible sex positions (“If you’re over 40, I dare you to even GET into that position! “), which she thinks were created by one of the following:
A) a computer who has never had sex and is not programmed to understand how the female body bends.
B) a computer programmer who has never has sex and has no understanding of how the female body bends.
C) a Yogi master/Olympic athlete.
Sometimes the topic is blogging. Jen is a fierce proponent of medical blogging. She sees it as a way to “promote” yourself as a doctor, to learn from your readers and to “contribute credible content drowns out garbage medical information” (true) and as an ideal platform to deliver content to your patients and like-minded medical professionals. (great idea)
Read more at:
- Blogging with integrity: what does that mean for doctors?
- To blog or not to blog? What’s the answer for you and your practice? (At OBG-management)
Of course you can also take a subscription to her blog http://drjengunter.wordpress.com/
- Twitter’s #FollowFriday #FF – Over the Top. Literally (laikaspoetnik.wordpress.com: 2009/09/11/)
- Laikas Followfriday #FF Twitter List (laikaspoetnik.wordpress.com 2009/11/13/)
- #FollowFriday #FF Dutch @Nutrigenomics @Beatis @TheSofa @DrShock @digicmb (laikaspoetnik.wordpress.com 2009/11/21/)
- #FollowFriday #FF the EBM-Skeptics @cochranecollab @EvidenceMatters @oracknows @ACPinternists (laikaspoetnik.wordpress.com 2009/11/27/)
- How safe is the HPV vaccine? New data available. (drjengunter.wordpress.com/ 2011/06/17/)
- Some birth control pills have a higher risk of blood clots. Is yours one of them? (drjengunter.wordpress.com 2011/05/24/)
- Cosmo’s sex position of the day proves they know nothing about good sex or women” (drjengunter.wordpress.com (2011/08/19)
- To blog or not to blog? What’s the answer for you and your practice? (OBG-management August 2011 · Vol. 23, No. 8)
- Follow Friday Has Become Spam Weekly (5minutesforblogging.wordpress.com)
- Stop Doing Follow Friday Wrong (chris.pirillo.com)