I’ve participated in several Blog Carnivals in the field of Medicine (and hence called Grand Round). i.e. The Grand Round, the Dutch Grand Round (i.e. see here), and SurgeXperiences. Blog Carnivals are a regular compilation of the “best blogs in a certain area”, hosted by a different blogger each time.
I enjoy participating in a Grand Round, either as submitter or as hosts, and being a medical librarian, I asked myself, why aren’t there any medical blog carnivals around?
Participating in a blog carnival is easy and informative. Why should medical librarians do this? Because you get a quick overview of the best posts in the field of medical librarianship, you learn to know other librarians, you keep well informed about what is going on and you generate traffic to your site (both as a host and a submitter).
Finally librarians not having a blog or people not being medical librarians (health 2.0, web 2.0 people, doctors) might also be interested in getting a quick overview of a field that has their interest.
These are the facts/rules:
- The Blog Carnival’s name is Medlib’s Round. Please let me now if you have a more original carnival title.
- For the time being it is a once-monthly Grand Round. The publications are on Tuesday, the submissions are due at Saturdays 00.00 (Dutch Time), or 18.00 EST.
- All submissions and the Grand Round itself should be written (at least partially) in English.
- Whether there is a theme or not is up to the host. The advice though is not to be too strict and give a nice compilation.
- The host posts a call for submissions as early as possible at his or her blog.
- The schedule and the archive are listed on Laika’s Medliblog on a separate page here.
- You can submit your post (the permalink) to the blog carnival here or mail the next host before the deadline
- The first Grand Round (deadline February 7th) is at my place: Laika’s MedLibLog. The theme is rather loose: write about a subject that is close to your heart, whether it is about your patrons, education, PubMed, twitter …. whatever you find important.
What should you do now?
- Tell me whether you like the idea or not and whether you want to join.
- Write a post and submit it here (preferred) or mail me at laika dot spoetnik at gmail dot com.
- Tell me whether you want to host a next edition: March*, April, May or June. (comment, mail,twitter)!!
- Inform others that a Medlibrarian Grand Round is in the making.
** For schedule see: medlibs-archive
*** Several librarians asked for a more extensive description. I will post this soon.